We spend a lot of time on our carpets at home, right? We walk, we run, we lounge and make ourselves feel relaxed and comfortable. But how comfortable can you be when you come face to face with a mildew stain on your carpet? It may not be the most enjoyable moment, to say the least. But have no fear, you can and will be able to remove mildew from carpet with a few tried and trusted methods. Check out mildew removal guide to learn more.
It’s important to note that as soon as you discover any signs of a mildew stain, it’s best to tackle the problem head-on, right away. With mildew, time is of the essence, as the spores can become even more unpleasant the longer you leave them.
1. If you’re dealing with an area rug, bring the area rug outside. Otherwise, work with the carpet where you can.
2. Using a broom, sweep as much as the mildew out of the carpet as possible. The mildew should start to loosen and come out of the carpeting.
3. Immediately following this initial sweeping, vacuum the affected area. Be sure to empty the vacuum bag completely into an outdoor trash can as soon as you’ve thoroughly vacuumed the area.
4. Mix warm water and dishwashing detergent in a bowl to create a soapy mixture.
5. Using a sponge, repeatedly dab the area where mildew has been present to give it a thorough clean.
6. Though you may be tempted to point a fan directly on the spot so it dries faster, you’ll want to let your carpet dry on its own. If you blow a ceiling or floor fan directly onto the carpet, any spores that may still be present could be scattered to other parts of your home.
These 6 do-it-yourself mildew removal steps should help you succeed in conquering the task of how to get mildew out of the carpet.
Here’s another quick and easy way to keep your carpets mildew free.
1. Mix together 1 part hydrogen peroxide, 5 parts water.
2. Apply this solution to a clean towel or rag that you can dispose of after use. Be sure to gently press the stain, working from the outside toward the inside.
3. Let the affected area of the carpet dry on its own.
While many stains, mildew damage, and musty odors can be removed with products at home, others will need some extra effort. If you feel that you have exhausted all efforts or just don’t want to deal with it, you can call Auckland Carpet Cleaner services. Using commercial-grade technology, our technicians can put your carpet through a professional treatment steam cleaning that digs way below the surface, removing mildew at its source.